08 February 2014

Saturday's Updates

The full(er) picture

Still lots of drama happening out on the roads. Here is series of texts from Steve MacLeod:
"Epic fail. Been nurturing my rippied tyre for 350 km. Finally shredded itself on the straight flat Ranwick Road. All tubes have been blown. Just too far to carry the bike before my flight back to Auck. Although my detour up the scenic Okuku Pass puts me at well over 1100 km, I have done only 99.9% of the course. So see you next time for a finish in Symour Square. Many thanks to everyone." Steve at 12:12am

Six hours later, just after dawn...
"But wait! Went to pack my bike away and found my spare tyre. So off to complete the Ranwick to Seymour Square." Steven.

And three hours later...
"At the airport and done thanks. So my official time should be 100% of the course in about a week, which I think is perfect time in the spirit of a brevet. And having not showered for about a week, some poor person has to sit next to me on the plane, still wearing my soggy stinky mtb shoes. Cheers. Over and out. Steven MacLeod".

Meanwhile, Lou decided not to take her road bike over the Rainbow and has cycle 136 km today to Kaikoura! She said it was beautiful. Good for her.

Now it really is wonderful to hear all the stories from different riders. So a BIG THANKS to Richard for writing up a blog today. Here is the link to his most excellent adventure: http://www.velocrazy.blogspot.co.nz/


And finally, for today, we are wishing all the best for the riders still out on the course :-)